About Me

My photo
I am Dominican! I have two children and I am a very social person just come and ask me!

Friday, February 15, 2008

Film: "Juno"

The harsh reality that teens face today besides peer pressure, drugs, alcohol… is pregnancy. What goes inside a teens mind when that pregnancy stick turns positive is a feeling that is indescribable. It is emotional, overwhelming, it marks a turning point in a woman’s life that is devastating. You’re whole life gets put on hold to wait for the baby to be born.
In the film “Juno” we come across a teen that finds out she is pregnant at the tender age of 16. A lot of things came to my mind while watching this film: I remember with my first pregnancy I went to “Family Dollar” to get a pregnancy test just because I couldn’t afford to go to CVS or Walgreen. And as soon as the stick turned positive I cried, I cried because only one thing came to my mind: What am I going to do now? I felt lost and devastated.
One concern while watching the film was that I didn’t believe that her “friend” Bleeker wanted her to give the baby up? And an idea came to mind: What does it mean when you fall in love at such a young age? And next to that what is the possibility of two teens staying together? Coming of age is a reality that Juno has to face; the film is very straight forward with sex, gender, class, and relationships.
There was a language usage kind of “Hippie style” that I couldn’t understand. But overall the best thing in the film to me was Juno’s relationship with her family. The communication between them helped her through the pregnancy and that’s what is important when you become pregnant, understanding from society.

1 comment:

Dr. Lesley Bogad said...

I thought this film would resonate with you in very personal ways. Thanks for sharing this story. What do you think this film teaches us about teenage pregnancy?

LB :)