Kid Nation on CBS
Some things that I understand:
Kid Nation is a reality show that involves 40 kids (among these teenagers) learning and forming social, economic, and political views in a ghost town.
In the article by Ellen Goodman she argues against the show and its issues because mainly she believes that "its not a kid nation. It’s our nation." She believes that these kids are left on grounds that were once run by adults.
I agree with the three C’s: competition, class division, and consumerism. A vast majority of our children are growing up with the three C’s embedded in their minds and everyday life. I as a parent of a three year old live constantly with the consumerism role. My son has a Game boy with the latest games, the Nike sneakers, Timberland, Gap, and these are all things that he likes, and wants. Also when we get together with other kids of the family we compare who’s wearing the best clothes and what not.
In the article "Should kids be seen" I agree on the last sentence: "...their protecting their kids from the fate we’ve come to fear the most: invisibility." Most parents do not want their kids to go through the same ordeals that they went through while growing up. At least that’s what I want for my kids to have a better upbringing than me. I want them to have their own voice; and that is what the stars on Kid Nation are accomplishing.
Connections to other texts:
It connects to Hine’s main point when he states "Compared with most societies, ours is short of rituals that recognize young peoples arrival at maturity" I believe that the connection comes from the stars of Kid Nation and how they have many priorities among these is to fully demonstrate to society (mainly adults) that they can build, run, and live in a society built by kids.
"They’ll show wisdom beyond their years"
Questions/ Comments:
I did not see this show... How does it end? Are the kids successful in building a Nation?
Monday, April 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Did you get any of your questions answered in class? YOu should watch a few episodes on line if you get a chance!
Post a Comment