About Me

My photo
I am Dominican! I have two children and I am a very social person just come and ask me!

Monday, March 17, 2008

Laura Greenfield "Preface"


Some things I understand: Laura Greenfield takes through a journey with pictures instead of writing. She uses photography to express the lives of teenagers in LA “the center of the entertainment industry”. The difference of growing up in LA as opposed to a teen growing up in RI I that life in LA is a fast one, and among the pictures I saw in Greenfield’s portfolio was the fast life. “It seems like everyone is in a rush to be an adult. It is not cool to be a kid.” And that is true today among all teens not only those living in LA. Being a bartender since I was 19 makes me have social contact with teens every weekend. It is funny to see teens in the club acting cool and drinking. Teenagers now days want to be and act like grown-ups do.

“A common theme that kept me focused throughout was the sense of an early loss of innocence” and I agree with Greenfield. This happens on an everyday basis with teens they just don’t want to grow up!

Some words that popped up: -focused on other societies
-their candid and perceptive worlds
-confusing territory
-LA the center of entertainment industry
-television, music, magazines
-trends and attitudes
-the gangs as a new type of family
-socioeconomic divisions
-the media as a homogenizing force (?)


Connections with other texts: When we were analyzing the Christensen article I recall that “If our youth starts embedding itself onto what the media portrays, our teenagers are going to suffer one sad life growing up” While reading the Greenfield preface when she speaks about the media having a severe influence on teenagers in LA.

I am very pleased with this photo project, I had fun and overall the reading was good!!!

1 comment:

Dr. Lesley Bogad said...

GLad this helped inform your photo project!